Thursday, April 14, 2011

"There are always flowers for those who want to see them......"


Currently, MercyMay is doing well in surgery. The nurse calls me about every 45 - 60 minutes and updates me on her condition.  She couldn't be in better hands. Stay strong little nugget!!!!

Allow me to take a moment and tell you about Alan Bielsky. Alan is one of our heroes here at the hospital, there are many .....
The first time Mercy was admitted for surgery, it was obviously very stressful for Rod and I. It was the first time I had been away from her since her day of birth, and the first time she was left in a stranger's hands. We were taken to a holding room where we met the surgeons, nurses and anesthesiology team (awesome people, all of them).  Alan was her anesthesiologist. Mercy was very hungry and clearly upset about not eating....Alan took her in his arms and she stopped crying immediately. The way he held our baby and showed us comfort and empathy in such an emotional and crazy moment was unbelievable. Mercy felt his good energy...he told us he was going to take great care of our baby and followed through with his promise.  Not sure who he was comforting more...us or Mercy :)
It's funny being here. I am a people person so it's easy to feel close to those that help you in a time of crisis or change. The flip side is, as an employee of a hospital, that relationship has to stay neutral for obvious reasons. Mercy doesn't allow that to happen. She grabs the heart and tugs and tugs and tugs....therefore it's easy to fall in love with her. So, today I asked who our anesthesiolgist would be......hoping for Alan.
"Dr. Carter will be taking care of Mercy today." Ok, cool.  So I proceed to tell the nurse how special Alan is and about our first experience with him. He IS The Baby Whisperer (at least ours anyway).
Alan (dressed in professional attire) saw us in the holding room today. He came in to say hello and asked to hold "The Merc".....yep, you guessed it. She stopped crying immediately and instantly felt his good, positive energy. I looked at the nurse like "...see, told ya so!" 
Every bit of anxiety, doubt or fear I had was now diminished.  Every little thing is going to be alright. Alan passed her back to me, peaceful and asleep. Next thing I know, Alan returns in full scrubs. He switched his schedule to take care of Mercy today...... :)    Thank you, Dr. Bielsky.
So now, I sit in the room.....waiting. Waiting for our precious little girl to wake up from surgery and start the healing process.  The next few days will be intense as she is recovering from a pretty heavy duty organ revision. Will keep you all posted as best I can. Thank you for your positive vibrations....((((MUCH LOVE))))

5 comments:

  1. Tugs and tugs and tugs.... To say the least!!!! Charity you have a sweet, sweet baby. She has a special place in my heart!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being one of our heroes, Aimee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity, you do an awesome job of translating all of the emotion that is present in the journey you are on. I feel teary eyed and as though I were there taking it all in. Bless you and Mercy and Rod and the strength that it takes to get you all through this.
    *Bev (not trying to be Anonymous but haven't figured out the other ways yet)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you and your family Iwill ask everyone Iknow to pray for you all and I will do the same.Iwill also ask them to visit this sight. God please bless this family with healing IN JESUS NAME AMEN GOOD LUCK FOLKS............

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Mercy

    My heart is wanting to be with you.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete