Saturday, August 6, 2011

I love you since before the day you were born, child.....

After staring at the computer screen for quite some time now, I'm trying to figure out how to begin this blog entry. I have experienced every emotion possible. Fear, joy, excitement, anxiety, sorrow, guilt, fulfillment, empathy and others I cannot find a word for.....the tears tend to come and go. Thinking about our little girl and about the family of a little girl who was lost in order to give Mercy her gift.......that is HEAVY.
Almost three months on the list. TIME is a crazy thing.
"The call" we have so anxiously waited for came yesterday afternoon. A double rainbow was shining bright in the warm Colorado sky later that afternoon. 
We were admitted to the hospital last night at 7:00pm. Once here, they took her labs, vitals and a chest x~ray to prepare for her transplant surgery. The liver was recovered and inspected by surgeons in the midwest and flown here early this morning.  Surgery was scheduled at 7am today, they took her from my arms shortly after.
So far I have received one update. Diane, the transplant coordinator, will call every hour to tell me how she is doing. She was sleeping (anesthesia) peacefully while placing her lines (IV) and the breathing tube. Her incision had not been made yet. The donor was around 15 kg, about twice Mercy's size. We figure she was about 2 years old or somewhere close but due to confidentiality of both parties involved, we do not know specifics.  Dr. Wachs was hopeful that the new liver would not have to be cut to fit into Mercy which will be determined when they are ready to place the new organ.
I have been asked "how long will surgery take?"  I was told that TIME is of no concern. If they tell us it will take 8 hours and it takes 10, then as parents we're like "something went wrong". If they tell us it will take 7 hours and it takes 5, we will be like "what did they skip".....again, something out of my control. The surgeons are in the driving seat. My seatbelt is fastened.

Sidenote for PanicKin:
Dr. Wachs took his kids to the Saturday and Sunday show and has a steal~your~face tat on his upper arm. He likes to listen to jam bands during surgery so I told him Mercy was named after a song and he said..."I know that song"..... we have made plans to attend next year's Sunday show with him :)
Aint Life Grand is my listening choice at the present moment...this experience has shed a whole new light on how I hear the music. Music IS the therapy (Kammerer family <3). I encourage you to take a listen also.
I'm not alone...I'm just Blue
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there Girl.
    Charity!!!! Yes it is to bad the doner leaves this old world. But when she does,she helps others with such a great gift.The wonderful gift of life to our Mercymay.
    The time of 3 months is a long time but,Nancy
    and myself know and we did it. We know you can do it to Girls & Rod.
    Rod just called me and he is in Wheatland on his way to you as we speak.
    Thank you and Rod for all the updates on Mercymay.
    Just think you will be home for Christmas.
    What a great time to have everyone home safe and some kind of norm in life again.
    Sending you all of our love.
    Nannie & Grand Pa McCullough
    Billings Mt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercy May as I sit with my heart full of emotions I feel the breeze cross my face and I see you smile. I know how you love the breezes in you face. You are a golden Nugget.
    This day is like the day you were born, very very special day. It is like a new beginning you have a New liver. YEA I have tears of Joy. I can only imagine how your mommy and daddy must feel today. You are so lucky to have them they LOVE you so much and so does grandma and grandpa. Let the New Journey begin. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of all of you all day...MercyMay has to be a fighter and I am sure she will come through this perfectly. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster that you've been on. Thoughts and prayers are going your way!
    Patti Lemmon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ecstatic to hear you got the call and things have progressed! Thank you for the update during such an emotional time. Today is one day closer to being home and this being a memory. Stay strong and know we're cheering for you! Lots of love, Steph & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. BUMPS,yes there will be some. Baby girl you just received a beautiful gift that most people will never received in a life time. This gift of a Liver and the miracles and knowledge of Modern medicine is amazing. I hear you are winning HEARTS of those surgeons. You have a beautiful gift also and lessons of LIFE you are teaching. You have beautiful and loving parents and you will never have to wonder "WHAT DOES THAT WORD MEAN LOVE"? you will know baby girl, you will know. xoxoxox grandma and grandpa love you. BOZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our thoughts are with you. Hoping Mercy is recovering & both of you also. Words cannot express all the emotions..You have touched so many & been thru more than most in such a short time.. Bless the donors & their loved ones, who also make it possible,so others may have a better quality of life & live life..
    Keep us updated as you can..All our love.. hugs & kisses...Donna & family

    ReplyDelete